BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [BackupPC-devel] Ubuntu Upgrade from 3.0.0 to 3.1.0 problem

2008-07-24 12:13:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [BackupPC-devel] Ubuntu Upgrade from 3.0.0 to 3.1.0 problem
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: Jon Craig <cannedspam.cant AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:13:28 -0500
Jon Craig wrote:

>> Wrong. It still is /etc/BackupPC for the tarball version. The Debian and
>>  Ubuntu packages use /etc/backuppc. I think this is a good idea, because it
>>  discourages mixing up package and tarball :-).
>
> Not sure I agree with this or at least with the manner of implementation.

My 2cents worth: I think all of the packaging attempts err in putting
any of it in the 'standard' places.  In my opinion, backuppc should be
self-contained in its own filesystem to whatever extent possible -
something like /opt/backuppc.  Even with a tarball install you don't
quite get this because of the needed non-standard perl modules and the
setup for the web server.   The reason I think you want this is that the
archive should be on its own filesystem for obvious reasons, and you may
want to take that filesystem or a mirrored copy of it off site and be
able to restore from another machine.  In this scenario it is handy -
perhaps even essential - to have all of the current updates and
configuration changes automatically brought along with the data.

I realize this concept conflicts with normal packaging guidelines to
install everything in standard places, but the reason you are keeping
backups is that everything normal may go wrong.