BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] (no subject)

2008-07-24 11:38:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] (no subject)
From: "Jon Craig" <cannedspam.cant AT gmail DOT com>
To: "fatima ech-charif" <echchariffatima AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:38:52 -0400
First I would make sure that rsync is running (look at ps -ef for the
rsync process).  From the command line you should be able to:

rsync [username]@localhost::root
password: [password]

and get the contents of your root directory listing.  The username is
the username specified in your conf file (/etc/rsyncd.conf) and
matches an entry in your secrets file (/etc/rsyncd.secrets).  The
password is the password from the secrets file.  One caveat is that if
your password is more than 8 characters then you will need to put it
in a file and use the --password-file option on rsync (many systems
will not properly take passwords over 8 characters).

Once you have rsync working from the command line then you are ready
to tackle the BackupPC stuff.

On 7/24/08, fatima ech-charif <echchariffatima AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> i want to backup localhost with rsyncd but i got this problem
>
>  full backup started for directory root (baseline backup #18)
>  Got fatal error during xfer (auth failed on module root)
>  Backup aborted (auth failed on module root)
>  full backup started for directory root (baseline backup #18)
>   Got fatal error during xfer (auth failed on module root)
>
> thanks

Jonathan Craig