BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] unix bind error on ubuntu 8.04

2008-07-22 06:15:02
Subject: [BackupPC-users] unix bind error on ubuntu 8.04
From: Joanne Cook <j.cook AT oxfordarch.co DOT uk>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 11:13:28 +0100 (BST)
Hi List,

I am trying to set up backuppc on an Ubuntu 8.04 server. I installed backuppc
by doing sudo apt-get install backuppc, and allowed it to set up a backuppc
user. In the first instance I tried to configure it to backup a test windows
client using rsyncd, and put the necessary entry in the hosts file. However,
when I tried to start backuppc using sudo /etc/init.d/backuppc start it said it
was starting but there was no entry when I ran ps -A and the web interface said
"Error: Unable to connect to BackupPC server". The logfile contains the
following:

Reading hosts file
Adding host xx.xx.xx.xx to backup list
unix bind() failed: Permission denied

I tried to completely reinstall backuppc by running sudo apt-get purge
backuppc, reinstalled it, and left it as the default configuration (smb) with
the only entry in hosts being localhost, but this gave the same error.

Oddly, I think I had it running just fine when I first set it up as I could
view the web interface- so it's possible that this problem only started when I
began to change config.pl.

I have searched for information on this unix bind error, and I assume it is an
ubuntu permissions thing but I don't really know where to go from there. If
anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks

Jo

Joanne Cook
Senior IT Support and Development
Oxford Archaeology (North)
01524 880212
http://thehumanjourney.net

------
Files attached to this email may be in ISO 26300 format (OASIS Open Document
Format). If you have difficulty opening them, please visit http://iso26300.info
for more information.