BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] unix bind error on ubuntu 8.04

2008-07-22 20:27:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] unix bind error on ubuntu 8.04
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Ray Todd Stevens <raytodd AT kiva DOT net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 02:26:49 +0200
Hi,

Ray Todd Stevens wrote on 2008-07-22 09:23:18 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users] unix
bind error on ubuntu 8.04]:
> On 22 Jul 2008 at 14:08, Joanne Cook wrote:
>
> I would think very seriously about double checking that the backuppc user

[that attribution is confusing]

> has full access to the log directory  AND also directory execute privilages to
> all of the other directories in the chain.

... which is not the case unless you explicitly set it up that way.
Specifically:

        # mkdir /var/log/backuppc
        # chown backuppc /var/log/backuppc

> On 22 Jul 2008 at 14:08, Joanne Cook wrote:
> > After installation it worked fine, until the point at which I changed the
> > log directory from a blank entry to /var/log/backuppc. [...] Oddly it
> > would write logs into the new directory perfectly well even when it was
> > failing to start.

I would guess you had a file /var/log/backuppc/LOG to which the backuppc user
had write permission (whether as owner, group or 'others').

> > I don't really understand why it failed, but I can certainly live with
> > the default logging directory!

It tried to bind a UNIX domain socket to $LogDir/BackupPC.sock - which
obviously failed due to missing write permissions in the directory
/var/log/backuppc. These permissions would later also have been needed to
rotate log files. You don't need to live with the default logging directory,
you just have to use one to which the backuppc user has write permission, see
above. I'm not sure whether there are security implications to the visibility
of the server socket - the default log directory is not world readable. Also,
the contents of status.pl may or may not be considered sensitive. Whether you
need $LogDir to belong to the backuppc group probably depends on your web
server setup - the adm group might be a suitable alternative.

Regards,
Holger