BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full backups manually, incremental backups automatically

2008-07-15 07:23:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full backups manually, incremental backups automatically
From: "Jonas von Poser" <Jonas.vonPoser AT carano DOT de>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:22:58 +0200

Hi Adam,

> Not sure what trickle does, but I assume it reduces the amount of
> bandwidth for your backup. I would suggest that you could do this, but
> allow it much more bandwidth. ie, around 70% of the available bandwidth,
> so it doesn't take too long, and also it doesn't saturate your network.

That's right, here's the link: http://monkey.org/~marius/pages/?page=trickle

It's a pretty nifty program, I simply put it in front of smbclient in the BackupPC configuration. I have to set the bandwidth server-side though, so it doesn't know the bandwith currently available on the client.

> Secondly, if you run a full backup of each machine on a different
> day/time, then it should eventually even out across the day/week.

Well, the problem is not bandwidth generally on the network but specifically on the clients. The network can handle the load, it's that everything gets really sluggish while working.

> Finally, increase the configuration for FullPeriod so that it will only
> run a full every 21 days (for example) then tell the people they should
> run a backup every week manually. You will probably find that nobody
> will manually run the backup, but the longer full period should allow
> the recurring backups be less likely to happen at the same time. Now
> everyone is happy, except that people don't run full backups as often as
> they 'should' :)

Good idea! Why didn't I think of that? :-)

I'll try to implement that and see what happens.

> PS, any reason rsync is a no go under vista ? This in my opinion would
> be the best solution by a long shot !

That's what I wanted to do in the first place but I haven't had any luck finding a rsync that would be easy to install, allow full backups of all disks, and not require any maintenance. The one on the BackupPC page does not seem to work well under Vista. I'd be happy to hear about any experiences that say otherwise!

Cheers,

Jonas