BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Full backups manually, incremental backups automatically

2008-07-15 06:39:52
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Full backups manually, incremental backups automatically
From: "Jonas von Poser" <Jonas.vonPoser AT carano DOT de>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 12:21:42 +0200

Hi everybody,

I have a question that I could not find an answer to in the BackupPC docs: I'm using BackupPC very successfully in a network of about 20 Linux servers. Now we want to include our user's laptops in the backup plan but have run into some problems.

First of all is rsync under Vista, which we avoided by using SMB/tar. Now our only worry is bandwidth: the backups are using so much bandwidth that user's are not able to work anymore. First we throttled the backups using trickle but then full backups take longer than a working day. Since SMB/tar can't reuse a partial backup, that doesn't work for us.

We decided to have users start the (long-running) full backups by hand when they're going to lunch and only have the incrementals run automatically every day. Is there any way of achieving this? Best of all would be if BackupPC could send an email when it's time for a full backup again.

Thanks in advance for any pointers and kudos for a great application!

Jonas