BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Changing your login user

2008-05-08 00:03:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Changing your login user
From: "Ambrose Li" <ambrose.li AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Stephen Joyce" <stephen AT physics.unc DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 00:03:47 -0400
On 07/05/2008, Stephen Joyce <stephen AT physics.unc DOT edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 May 2008, Ambrose Li wrote:
> > Second, I tried it on my backuppc. If I use the back button I find that
> > I'm still logged in. It seems that what that link does it just to redirect
> > you to a nouser AT example DOT com address which has no perms, but
> > if you go back to your regular example.com address (without the
> > nouser@ part) you still have your logged-in perms. I guess you
> > can't really log yourself out like this.
>
>  Well your first observation is true, but not your second; if you click the
> back button then try to click on any links or reload the page, you're
> prompted for credentials. By clicking back, you're only accessing your
> browser's cache.

I guess this is browser-dependant then. Since my backuppc is behind
a firewall, I tested this with w3m instead of my usual browsers (opera,
safari, and camino/firefox). With w3m as my browser, I can still access
the live links on the page without being asked for credentials even
after backing up to the cached page.

--
cheers,
-ambrose

The 'net used to be run by smart people; now many sites are run by
idiots. So SAD... (Sites that do spam filtering on mails sent to the
abuse contact need to be cut off the net...)