BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Changing your login user

2008-05-05 15:32:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Changing your login user
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 21:31:59 +0200
On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 10:48:03AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> > Yes, I agree with you. In my case it's not really necessary but I think
> > it's a good idea.
> > Will it be in BackupPC 3.1.1 ?
>
> It can't be done when you use basic http authentication.  There is no
> way to tell a browser to forget that you have logged in - it will always
> continue to send the original credentials so you never get a prompt for
> a new login. The only way to make it forget is to close the browser (all
> windows) and restart it.

There's a clumsy way which should(!) work: Configure a special directory
like /relogin with an .htaccess and "require valid-user" in it, but with
an empty htpasswd file. The AuthName needs to match.

Then point your browser to this directory. It get's an authentication
failed and should(!) now forget your old login/password. (You can always
enter something random to make sure). That's the only way close to
"logout", I'm aware of.

This might or might not work - pure theory, I didn't try.

Bye,

Tino.

--
„What we resist, persists.” (Zen saying)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de