Amanda-Users

Re: [Amanda-users] 'Idiots Guide' for configuring Amanda on Linux?

2008-10-24 22:53:12
Subject: Re: [Amanda-users] 'Idiots Guide' for configuring Amanda on Linux?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 22:47:15 -0400
On Friday 24 October 2008, dceola wrote:
>> And the rpm's force amanda into a different configuration when compared to
>> what you would get from the (recommended) tarball install.
>
>im confused, through the reading i had done (with relation to installing
> amanda) i never saw anything that said anything other than to simply
> download one of the rpm packages  from here:
> http://www.zmanda.com/download-amanda.php, since that is where the Quick
> start guide pointed me.
>
>>>From the quick start guide...
>
>> -Run one of the installation packages available from Zmanda or elsewhere:
>> --The Zmanda downloads site includes installation packages for many
>> platforms. If you are using packages from Zmanda downloads page, go to the
>> Zmanda packages quick start example. If you are using Windows client,
>> refer to the Windows client page for installation instructions. --Many
>> Linux and BSD distributions include Amanda packages, as does the Sun
>> freeware site. -Compile Amanda from the source. Obtain the tarball from
>> one of the sites mentioned above, or from the subversion tree
>
>I have been following the configuration instructions that are in the amanda
> Quick Start guide thus far.  It seems that there are a few of you that seem
> to imply i am doing something wrong - which i obviously am - however i am
> simply following the quick start guide; so it's hard for me to figure out
> where i'm likely going wrong.
>
>So- at this point.. I'm thinking maybe i should simply uninstall the
> software and try to start over - assuming that's even possible, and i would
> assume it is...  however, i had assumed that following the Amanda Quick
> Start guide would have been the best way to go, in that since it's from
> Amanda, it would lay out all that needs to be done.  [Rolling Eyes]
>
>Thanks,
>
>Daniel

I have not looked at this Quick Start Guide, sorry.

And I tend to not mess with something that is working.  Using that script I
posted, which gives me the consistency that my aging (74 years old) wet ram
cannot, I build and run the stable versions as they are announced, basically
playing the canary in the coal mine.  That script was last modified when the
security model was updated at about 2.5.0, 2, 3 years ago IIRC.

Currently I have not updated to one of the 2.6.1-alpha releases but it looks
as if I should since there has been no new 2.6.0, currently the P2 version
about a month back.  And 2.6.0p2 is working nominally well here although it
did leave some in the holding disk last night, which it will auto-flush
tonight.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
"I take Him shopping with me. I say, 'OK, Jesus, help me find a bargain'"
--Tammy Faye Bakker