Amanda-Users

Re: Is support for multiple, simultaneous tape drives on the roadmap?

2008-10-14 00:24:16
Subject: Re: Is support for multiple, simultaneous tape drives on the roadmap?
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Terry Burton" <tez AT terryburton.co DOT uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 00:16:55 -0400
On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 6:32 PM, Terry Burton <tez AT terryburton.co DOT uk>
wrote:
> This sounds very interesting and I would certainly like to take a look
> at this, though more out of curiosity that anything else, so if it is
> not much trouble to make this accessible then please do.

What a great opportunity to try out the fresh new git repository.
It's in the 'new-changer-api' branch:

  http://github.com/nikolasco/amanda/tree/new-changer-api

Keep in mind that this is ricdiculously unfinished, but it's a general
start at a Changer API that can handle concurrent access to multiple
devices, written in perl.  It does away with the idea of running an
external script to manipulate the changer, preferring instead to just
load a perl module.  Some amount of backward compatibility is ensured
by Amanda::Changer::Compat, which calls old changer scripts.  However,
there is no provision for an old (C) application to call a new (Perl)
changer script.

If you're wondering where to look in the source: there's a good bit of
new Perl in perl/Amanda/Changer, and a bunch of new installchecks for
it in installcheck/.

I've probably already gone into too much detail, but *please* feel
free to ask any questions that come to mind while looking at this new
code.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer