Amanda-Users

Re: How to backup windows client

2008-10-13 18:42:46
Subject: Re: How to backup windows client
From: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT zmanda DOT com>
To: thomaswegner AT gmx DOT net
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:38:28 -0700
On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 22:35 +0200, Thomas Wegner wrote:
> Am Montag, den 13.10.2008, 11:43 -0700 schrieb Paul Yeatman:
> Hi Paul!
>
> > Hello!  amaddclient is a new command starting with Amanda 2.6.0.  I'm
> > thus guessing your server is < 2.6.0.
> You are right. That's the problem. I'm running 2.5.2 out of the ubuntu
> repository.
>
> > There may be ways to make a 2.6.x Windows client work with an older
> > Amanda server but I am not knowledgeable on this.
> But how can I manage to backup an windows client. Do I have to act with
> samba and shares?

Yes, I would suggest using Samba.  Share any directory you wish to back
up on the Windows client with your Amanda server and then back it up
using Amanda on the server.  An example of this is here

        http://amanda.zmanda.com/quick-backup-setup.html

where a My Documents folder on a Win XP client named Uranium is backed
up on the Amanda server as a Samba share.  The 2.5.1p2 version of Amanda
being illustrated here is very similar to your server version.

Another option would be to grab the Amanda server build for your Ubuntu
server

        http://zmanda.com/download-amanda.php

and then use the ZWC you've already installed on your Windows client.

Lastly, you could use the amandabackupclient-2-5-2.msi Windows client by
selecting version 2.5.2 on the same download page.  This Windows client
is based on Cygwin and will likely raise some of its own issues for you,
however, and ones you won't likely get as much help with.

Paul