Amanda-Users

Re: Is support for multiple, simultaneous tape drives on the roadmap?

2008-10-12 18:50:42
Subject: Re: Is support for multiple, simultaneous tape drives on the roadmap?
From: "Terry Burton" <tez AT terryburton.co DOT uk>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 23:32:55 +0100
On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 4:54 AM, Terry Burton <tez AT terryburton.co DOT uk>
> wrote:
>> It would still be great to avoid manually balancing the DLEs between
>> configs in future if possible, so if any Amanda developers are able to
>> supply their thoughts the future of simultaneous drive usage I would
>> be most appreciative.
>
> We're working on it, but as you can imagine there's a lot of old,
> crufty code that makes assumptions about the number of devices in use,
> so it's not going to be here soon.

Hi Dustin,

Apologies for this delayed response, and I'm very grateful for your
reply which will certainly help me to plan for the future growth of
our volumes.

> Work is underway with a new Changer API that does implement locking
> and permit simultaneous use of multiple devices.  This will be used
> initially for a basic kind of "data vaulting" (copying dumps from one
> set of volumes to another), where the source and destination volumes
> may both be accessed by a changer.  The new API hasn't hit trunk yet,
> as I'm still discovering flaws and bugs, but I'm happy to share what I
> have if anyone is interested.

This sounds very interesting and I would certainly like to take a look
at this, though more out of curiosity that anything else, so if it is
not much trouble to make this accessible then please do.

All the best,

Terry