Amanda-Users

[Amanda-users] Seeking advice: is Amanda the right tool for my situation?

2008-10-05 03:08:10
Subject: [Amanda-users] Seeking advice: is Amanda the right tool for my situation?
From: drmoque <amanda-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 02:59:05 -0400
To clarify, I don't know if I need a mirror or not. It was necessary in our
previous strategy in case our primary NAS failed (and of course it did :)).
With the Snap Server our backup data was useless because we could not restore
it to be usuable on the backup NAS device.

In the Linux strategy, it may not be necessary depending on the way the data is
accessible in the backup. I don't know enough about Amanda to tell you if we
still need a mirror or not. Though I suspect it will make life easier.

The way I see it, the mirror is used if the whole NAS drive becomes unusable
and the backups are used to restore a single folder or file.