Amanda-Users

[Amanda-users] Seeking advice: is Amanda the right tool for my situation?

2008-10-04 18:03:59
Subject: [Amanda-users] Seeking advice: is Amanda the right tool for my situation?
From: drmoque <amanda-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 15:02:45 -0400
Hi,

Our office uses a Snap Server NAS device to host all of our working files. The
clients accessing the NAS are all WIndows Vista OS. Recently we opened a second
office and the backup strategy we had with the Snap Server software can't be
implemented until our two offices can talk to each other.

So I need a backup strategy that can replicate the functions of our previous
strategy.  These functions were:  a) multilevel backup and b) a mirror of our
data. We needed the mirror because backup software from Snap Server could not
restore to the same device that the backup was on. Also I do not need to backup
any of our Windows clients. There is no critical data on there from our
standpoint.

The Snap Server runs a limited version of Linux they call Guardian OS. I have a
second older NAS from Snap Server that will serve as the backup and mirror
host. (It  has trouble with dealing Vista which is why it was collecting dust)
so I turned one of our old machines (Intel P3) into a Linux box running Ubuntu
Server 8.04.

I am able to mount both Snap Servers using nfs. I assume I could also have used
Samba since the Windows machines use it to map folders as network drives.

The last piece of information I offer is that I have been running Linux for all
of two days. So I definitely consider myself a newbie. I am looking for an easy
to use solution.

Is Amanda the most appropriate tool to meet my backup needs?