Amanda-Users

Re: DUMP: You can't update the dumpdates file when dumping a subdirectory

2008-10-04 06:36:07
Subject: Re: DUMP: You can't update the dumpdates file when dumping a subdirectory
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 22:41:17 -0400
On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 06:03:23PM -0700, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 10:15:52AM -0400, Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
> > >sendbackup: info end
> > >sendbackup: error [dump (20830) /sbin/dump returned 1]
> >
> > Like the message says: You can't use DUMP to backup a subdirectory, DUMP
> > work only on partition.
> > You must use GNUTAR to backup a directory.
>
> I beg your pardon, but /sbin/dump is perfectly capable of dumping
> subdirectories on most unixes.  it just won't record (or read) the date
> of the dump in /etc/dumpdates.

I took JLM's comments as "can't be used by amanda".

If dump won't record/read /etc/dumpdates when dumping
a subdirectory, incrementals will be a real problem.

> a lot of /sbin/dump will accept a -T parameter to specify a date for
> incrementals.  I assume tar requires a similar parameter, perhaps it
> could be used with /sbin/dump as well?

Not sure if it is used, but gnutar has a similar -N (--newer-mtime)
option.  But if it is based on "mtime" as the option name suggests,
then changes to the inode would be missed.

Ufsdump doesn't have a time-based option.

 JG Computing
 12027 Creekbend Drive          (703) 787-0884
 Reston, VA  20194              (703) 787-0922 (fax)