Amanda-Users

Re: DUMP: You can't update the dumpdates file when dumping a subdirectory

2008-10-02 21:10:04
Subject: Re: DUMP: You can't update the dumpdates file when dumping a subdirectory
From: "Aaron J. Grier" <agrier AT poofygoof DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 18:03:23 -0700
On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 10:15:52AM -0400, Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:
> >sendbackup: info end
> >|   DUMP: You can't update the dumpdates file when dumping a subdirectory
> >|   DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
> >sendbackup: error [dump (20830) /sbin/dump returned 1]
>
> Like the message says: You can't use DUMP to backup a subdirectory, DUMP
> work only on partition.
> You must use GNUTAR to backup a directory.

I beg your pardon, but /sbin/dump is perfectly capable of dumping
subdirectories on most unixes.  it just won't record (or read) the date
of the dump in /etc/dumpdates.

a lot of /sbin/dump will accept a -T parameter to specify a date for
incrementals.  I assume tar requires a similar parameter, perhaps it
could be used with /sbin/dump as well?

--
  Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier AT poofygoof DOT com