Amanda-Users

Re: Move disk without loosing backup history?

2008-08-28 23:36:22
Subject: Re: Move disk without loosing backup history?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 23:30:48 -0400
wrote:
>> The tar folks at gnu do not consider that a bug, but as a part of the
>> security.
>
>To be fair, the tar developers did fix this -- in 1.21, IIRC.

Hrumph...  Bleeding edge, and currently bleeding users over the ssh thingy,
Fedora is still stuck at 1.17.

>As to the original question, no, I don't think that there is any way
>to "pretend" that one host/disk is the same as another.  When we have
>a more expressive catalog, it might be interesting to have some kind
>of "redirect" that amrecover could follow when browsing the history of
>a DLE -- similar to Subversion's "copy-from".
>
>Dustin

Someone did do a script about a year ago when that bit me that could globally
fix the database, but I've forgotten its name now.  And you still needed to
be pretty savvy to use it.

Maybe I wasn't the only one chewing on their attitudes about that item?  IMO,
either LANANA or tar had to give, having a device number changed just cuz you
rebooted to a newer kernel was and is a PITA.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Hideously disfigured by an ancient Indian curse?

                WE CAN HELP!

Call (511) 338-0959 for an immediate appointment.