Amanda-Users

Re: Move disk without loosing backup history?

2008-08-28 07:55:32
Subject: Re: Move disk without loosing backup history?
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 07:48:42 -0400
On Thursday 28 August 2008, Toralf Lund wrote:
>I've just moved a disk from one server to another without really
>changing anything with respect to how the clients see it; logically, the
>disk still represents exactly the same volume on the network.
>
>Is there any way I can change the amanda config so that the disk is
>backed up via the new server, but status is written to the existing
>backup history of the volume?
>
>I originally planned to use hostname aliases in such a way that no
>config update would be necessary in this situation, but as you know,
>Amanda doesn't really understand the alias concept (or didn't when I
>first configured it, anyway)...
>
>- Toralf

Unforch, what I'd call a bug in tar will cause it to be treated as a new
device.  Part of tar's detection code makes the device's assigned number part
of the new/old decision.  So it will be subjected to a full level 0 backup as
a newly discovered disk.

The tar folks at gnu do not consider that a bug, but as a part of the
security.

Amanda will recover, and resume doing backups normally once the initial level
0 is done.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
He has shown you, o man, what is good.  And what does the Lord ask of you,
but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly before your God?