Amanda-Users

Re: Move disk without loosing backup history?

2008-08-28 10:37:09
Subject: Re: Move disk without loosing backup history?
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:26:59 +0200
Toralf Lund wrote:
Gene Heskett wrote:
On Thursday 28 August 2008, Toralf Lund wrote:
I've just moved a disk from one server to another without really
changing anything with respect to how the clients see it; logically, the
disk still represents exactly the same volume on the network. [... ]

Unforch, what I'd call a bug in tar will cause it to be treated as a new device. Part of tar's detection code makes the device's assigned number part of the new/old decision. So it will be subjected to a full level 0 backup as a newly discovered disk.
This is not really a problem. But I don't think I follow you. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original post; the disk is physically the same as before, it's the *host* that has changed. I'd really like the DLE in question to list the actual host it's connected to, and not some client that mounts the volume, so as to avoid sending the same data twice across the network.
I suppose I should also point out that the hostname in the DLE is not the one of the host running amdump. I suppose I might have used this for all entries from the beginning, since everything is supposed to be available via NFS (thus using NFS rather than the amanda network protocol to transfer the data), but I didn't really think about it a the time.

Maybe I could manipulate the host database so that the hostname would be an alias for the dump host after all, but this might cause conflicts with other DLEs where another alias for that host is listed, and raise some issues not directly related to the amanda config...
But if I change the DLE just like that, Amanda will think I'm backing up a new disk (won't it?), so I'll get two separate indexes for what's exactly the same disk, and if I want to recover a really old file, I need to remember to switch to the old index/hostname. Which is something I'd rather avoid.

I'm mainly talking about an "archival" config without tape reuse, by the way. And yes, I do keep amanda indexes "from the beginning of time" for those, as the way I see it, without these, the tapes would be pretty much useless, since nobody would remember what was supposed to be on them...

- Toralf

--
Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com> +47 66 85 51 22
ProCaptura AS                       +47 66 85 51 00 (switchboard)