Amanda-Users

Backups to disk and tape

2008-08-09 10:21:48
Subject: Backups to disk and tape
From: Peter Spikings <peter.spikings AT powergroup.co DOT uk>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 14:22:01 +0100
Hi all,

I'm going to be setting up a new Amanda config with tapes going offsite. We're going to be using 30 tapes or so. As the tapes leave straight away after being written we want to keep copies of the data written to them on disk for (say) 7 days.

I've looked into using RAIT to do this but wouldn't I then need enough
diskspace to hold all the data on all the tapes?

It strikes me that a good way to do this would be to allocate 7 tapes worth of space to the holding disk and have Amanda delete the older data when it needs to as Amanda can already restore from the holding disk.

Is that possible? (because I can't see how from reading the man pages).

Thanks,

Peter.

PS. Probably won't be able to respond until Monday!

--
Peter Spikings
Research & Development Software Developer

Two Four Nine, 249 Midsummer Boulevard, Central Milton Keynes, MK9 1EA
t: 01908 605188   f: 01908 242099  e: info AT powergroup.co DOT uk
www.powergroup.co.uk
www.powernet.co.uk
www.powercorporate.co.uk

Power Internet Limited
Registered in England No: 3053650
Registered Address: Norfolk House Centre, 82 Saxon Gate West, Central Milton
Keynes, Bucks, MK9 2DL
Trading as "Powergroup", "Powernet", "Powercorporate" and "Powertelecom"