Amanda-Users

SV: Backups to disk and tape

2008-08-12 08:37:06
Subject: SV: Backups to disk and tape
From: "Gunnarsson, Gunnar" <Gunnar.Gunnarsson AT svk DOT se>
To: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>, "Peter Spikings" <peter.spikings AT powergroup.co DOT uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:24:08 +0200

<peter.spikings AT powergroup.co DOT uk> wrote:
>> Is that possible? (because I can't see how from reading the man
pages).

>What you're asking about is called D2D2T, and Amanda doesn't support it
directly just yet, although preliminary >support is a goal for the next
release or so.

>RAIT is the current best option.  As long as you're mirroring, there's
no problem with deleting a vtape after 7 >days.  If you need to recover
that data, you'll just retrieve the tape and use it directly.  So a
little bit of >shell wrapper can get you up and running with this scheme
in no time.

>I'd be interested to hear folks' high-level thoughts on how D2D2T (or,
more generally, data migration) configuration should work in Amanda.
>Should migration be a separate step from dumping (a la amflush)?
>Should migration be scheduled somehow (and if so, with what sort of
parameters), or should Amanda require explicit instructions on which
dumps to migrate and when?  We're still laying the low-level groundwork
for migration, so there's lots of time to pontificate.

One usage of data migrations is archiving which is being used and often
implemented as separate config doing only 0 dumps. I think that
migration should be done in similar way i.e. separated from dumping -
ammigrating with it's own configuration, with parameters selecting
images/tapes from amanda configurations.

- config,host,disk,level,frequency
- tape support

Of course the is only one aspect of migrations but important one that
would add much value to amanda.

Gunnar Gunnarsson