Amanda-Users

Theoretical question

2008-08-08 19:24:05
Subject: Theoretical question
From: Steffan Vigano <svigano AT boothcreek DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 15:38:25 -0700
After 6 years of trusty service, we're upgrading the hardware for our Amanda Server. The existing setup has an LTO Tape Changer and an external 1TB raid array that serves as both holding disk for the Unix clients that hook right into Amanda, and disk based backup for our Windows machines. The Windows data then gets sucked up to tape via Amanda from the local filesystem on the Amanda Server. Anyway... way back when this was all originally setup, the primary FreeBSD jock in charge partitioned the raid into 100GB slices because "the LTO tapes only hold 100GB natively, and you can't backup a file system with dump that's larger then the actual capacity of the tape."

So.. my questions are:

A) Was there any truth to his original statement?
B) Since the initial setup we've upgraded Amanda several times (currently on 2.5.1p2) and we now have tape spanning going. Assuming "A" is true, do we still need to partition our disk to 100GB slices? or can we have 1 or 2 huge slices?

Thanks
-Steffan