Amanda-Users

Re: Theoretical question

2008-08-08 19:55:10
Subject: Re: Theoretical question
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: "Steffan Vigano" <svigano AT boothcreek DOT com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 19:51:44 -0400
On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 6:38 PM, Steffan Vigano <svigano AT boothcreek DOT com>
wrote:
> because "the LTO tapes only hold 100GB natively, and you can't backup a file
> system with dump that's larger then the actual capacity of the tape."
..
> A) Was there any truth to his original statement?

Nope -- that was a pre-spanning statement.

> B) Since the initial setup we've upgraded Amanda several times (currently on
> 2.5.1p2) and we now have tape spanning going.  Assuming "A" is true, do we
> still need to partition our disk to 100GB slices?   or can we have 1 or 2
> huge slices?

No.  However, note that Amanda's balancing act is much more effective
when it has multiple DLEs of approximately the same size to shuffle
around, so it probably makes sense to continue using multiple
partitions instead of lumping everything into one DLE.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com