Amanda-Users

Re: tar dumps, performance

2007-08-13 11:37:49
Subject: Re: tar dumps, performance
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: "Aaron J. Grier" <agrier AT poofygoof DOT com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:21:17 -0400
Aaron,

I may be wrong, but I'd have thought that the TEE was in memory,
then piped again to gzip and with the final output being put to
an index directory specified in amanda.conf.

(or, since I haven't really worked with amrecover, I could be
 completely wrong)

In our case, the amanda directories are on a different device, I
don't know anything about intermediate files, but I'd have expected
anything written to be of very low volume, essentially directory
listings, as opposed to the actual TEE'd data stream, which would
be huge, but hopefully never touching disk.

There are levels of internals here that I'm only guessing at.

                                                thanks,

                                                Brian

On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 08:25:33PM -0700, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> I wonder if the teed index is being written to the same device that the
> backups are being read from.  that could eat into disk bandwidth
> available for feeding the tape.
>
> --
>   Aaron J. Grier | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier AT poofygoof DOT
> com
>     The United States is the one true country.  The US is just.  The US
>     is fair.  The US respects its citizens.  The US loves you.  We have
>     always been at war against terrorism.
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It
is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or
from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not
distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your
system. Thank you for your cooperation.