Amanda-Users

Re: ssh tunneling from wherever

2007-08-07 23:45:12
Subject: Re: ssh tunneling from wherever
From: Mauricio Tavares <raub AT afn DOT org>
To: Steve Newcomb <srn AT coolheads DOT com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 09:05:08 -0400 (EDT)

On 6 Aug 2007, Steve Newcomb wrote:

> Greetings from the Extreme Markup Languages Conference in Montreal.
> (Which is a great conference but it's not what this note is about.)
>
> Here I am at the Europa hotel with pretty good internet service.
> Unfortunately, as in most such away-from-home situations, there's no
> way for our amanda server to contact my machine after midnight to do
> the usual daily backup.
>
> I'd like to do the backup anyway.  I was wondering whether I could set
> up an ssh tunnel at bedtime for the backup to occur later at night,
> and I came across
>
> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Amanda_and_ssh_tunnels
>
> ...which suggested that this is indeed possible to do, but it doesn't
> account for the fact that our amanda is configured to use ssh.
>
> I did what the article said to do (well almost -- what I really did
> was:
>
>    ssh -l 10080:<server>:10080 <server> 'sleep 7000' &
>
> ) but when I ran amcheck on the server (using another ssh session) it
> couldn't find my machine, even though a tunnel presumably existed.
> Amcheck, running on the server, said it couldn't find my machine at
> port 22.  Whereupon it occurred to me that 10080 is not the same as
> 22.  (We use auth-ssh.)
>
> Any clues to offer?

        Just to make sure I understand what is going on, you have no
problem ssh'ing to the machine (as in "ssh user AT server DOT com") but you
are having problems opening a tunnel. I too run tunnels, as in:

raub@kushana> ssh 5902:localhost:5901 raub@nassau

Where I am telling it to pass the local (to nassau) port 5901 to 5902 at
kushana. Yes, I am running vnc in the above example and I have the same
username in both machines. I am lazy! ;)

BTW, I do not know if it is important but I do have AllowTcpForwarding
enabled in my sshd_config in nassau.