Amanda-Users

Re: ssh tunneling from wherever

2007-08-07 10:47:15
Subject: Re: ssh tunneling from wherever
From: "Dustin J. Mitchell" <dustin AT zmanda DOT com>
To: Steve Newcomb <srn AT coolheads DOT com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 09:36:41 -0500
On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 11:29:40PM -0400, Steve Newcomb wrote:
> Any clues to offer?

I've never tried this, but I think you should take a look at the SSH
documentation for port forwarding.  Run on the client,
means that connections to port <port> on <server> should be forwarded to
port 10080 on the client.  Making <port>=10080 means that port 10080 is
forwarded, but of course with auth-ssh Amanda doesn't listen at all.

If you want to use auth-ssh inside this SSH tunnel (which seems
redundant), you'll need to convince SSH to connect to the client on port
<port>, hostname 'localhost'.  It would probably be more sensible to
switch to bsdtcp authentication for this client, and select some
otherwise-unused port on the server.  Then just point your DLE to
localhost:<port> with auth "bsdtcp", and you should be OK.

All in all, it sounds like a lot of work, unless this is a months-long
conference :)

Dustin

--
        Dustin J. Mitchell