Amanda-Users

Re: ssh tunneling from wherever

2007-08-07 23:52:13
Subject: Re: ssh tunneling from wherever
From: Steve Newcomb <srn AT coolheads DOT com>
To: Mitch Collinsworth <mitch AT ccmr.cornell DOT edu>
Date: 07 Aug 2007 23:42:38 -0400
Mitch Collinsworth <mitch AT ccmr.cornell DOT edu> writes:

> On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>
> > All in all, it sounds like a lot of work, unless this is a months-long
> > conference :)

I agree.  Changing a working backup configuration in order to handle a
temporarily out-of-town condition is just *not* something I'm willing
to do.

> Which is why it would be really nice to have a different triggering method
> for performing backups on roaming laptops.  Something that begins with the
> laptop calling in to the server and saying "Yoo-hoo!  I'm over here.  Can
> you please back me up now?"  Then the server can do the backup to holding
> disk and then flush to tape next time a regular scheduled <config> run is
> made.

This is a nice idea, but, personally, I would be happy simply to
establish a tunnel through which the backup will be tranmitted later,
at the usual time, in the usual way.

In any event, I'm gathering that this is not something that amanda can
do right now.  Too bad.  It's something for you developers to think
about, though.

-- Steve

Steven R. Newcomb, Consultant
Coolheads Consulting

Co-editor, Topic Maps International Standard (ISO/IEC 13250)
Co-editor, draft Topic Maps -- Reference Model (ISO/IEC 13250-5)

srn AT coolheads DOT com
http://www.coolheads.com

direct: +1 910 363 4032
main:   +1 910 363 4033
fax:    +1 910 454 8461

268 Bonnet Way
Southport, North Carolina 28461 USA

(This communication is not private.  Since the destruction of the 1978
Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act by the U.S. Congress on August
5, 2007, no electronic communications of innocent citizens can be
hidden from the U.S. government.  Shamefully, our own generation,
acting on fears promoted by fraudulently-elected rogues, has allowed
absolute power (codenamed "unitary Executive") to be usurped by those
very same rogues.  Hail Caesar!)