Amanda-Users

Re: How do I tell amanda a tape is not onsite?

2007-08-07 09:25:53
Subject: Re: How do I tell amanda a tape is not onsite?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda users list <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 07:54:07 -0400
On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 12:47:27PM +0200, Gerrit A. Smit -TI- wrote:
> > Gerrit A. Smit wrote:
> > > I would like a way to tell amrecover that
> > > those tapes are off site without too much fiddling around with setdate.
>
> This question remains unsolved, I think.
>
> By telling Amanda not to re-use a tape, she will refrain from using that tape
> for dumping, but IMHO this doen't change anything for other operations.
> amrecover will still use the tape for reading when needed according to the set
> time, and I want to be able to prevent that for tapes which are off site.
>
> Thank you for your script, but it doesn't address the bottom line of my
> message.

You are asking for how to do a capability not currently in amanda.
Perhaps time to add it to the wishlist.

Off the top of my head, there are 4 states for a tape in amanda:

usable - never been used
usable - recorded
not usable - recorded (index still valid?)
not in the database

There is no differentiation in the second or third catagory as to location
or "availability for recovery".

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)