Amanda-Users

Re: How do I tell amanda a tape is not onsite?

2007-08-07 08:56:46
Subject: Re: How do I tell amanda a tape is not onsite?
From: "Gerrit A. Smit -TI-" <TI AT ATComputing DOT nl>
To: Marc Muehlfeld <Marc.Muehlfeld AT medizinische-genetik DOT de>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 14:25:27 +0200
Marc Muehlfeld wrote:

> Gerrit A. Smit wrote:
> > By telling Amanda not to re-use a tape, she will refrain from using that
> > tape for dumping, but IMHO this doesn't change anything for other
> > operations. amrecover will still use the tape for reading when needed
> > according to the set time, and I want to be able to prevent that for tapes
> > which are off site.
The user should be able to decide whether to use a tape which is off site.

> Why?

Because it would not be helpfull for people restoring files if they are told
to mount a tape (with a level 0 dump) which is e.g. a one hour drive away. Sure
they won't like that. They could be better off with an older level 0 dump which
is on site.

> If you don't want to have the full dumps seen by amrecovery why don't you
> create a separate set for it?

Having a separate set means having a separate configuration, right? Or can I
have more than one set of tapes in the same configuration?

I am looking for means to have 1 set of tapes for all purposes. Which also means
that the number of tapes needed for a full dump is part of the total number of
tapes in a set, and so it can get bigger or smaller as needed. Users don't have
to bother about a different configuration.

This might seem strange, but I still want to give it a try. They only remaining
point is the use of amrecover with this setup.

Gerrit