Amanda-Users

Re: restore errors

2007-01-27 15:59:03
Subject: Re: restore errors
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, sgw AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 15:45:05 -0500
On Saturday 27 January 2007 13:15, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>Gene Heskett schrieb:
>> I believe that more of the blame for defective backups can be laid at
>> the gnu.org's (miss)handling of tar than at amanda's doorstep. Amanda
>> has always had the possibility that something would sneak in, and it
>> did at least twice on my watch, but was fixed each time in good time,
>> less than a week IIRC.
>
>I was under the impression for years now that tar 1.13.25 was known as a
>release that works well with Amanda. Nothing specific with that setup,
>plain Suse Linux, etc.

It does, but that's not the release that now comes with the various
distros. 1.15-1 also works well, if built from the tarball, but some
distros have backported 1.16 things and their package is then broken for
amanda's use according to old messages here.

>I don't blame Amanda for anything, I just wonder if anyone else has hit
>that bug I seem to have hit, and which patch/release fixed that issue
>(if it has been fixed already).

I don't recall seeing the version you were fighting with posted, did I
miss it?  ISTR I had a 2 day problem about 90 days ago.  But don't recall
the greasy details now.  The recent ChangeLog might have some clues.

>Is that issue known? Is it documented? Is it fixed already?
>Jean-Louis, maybe you know best ...
>
>IMO this is an issue that should be communicated and discussed,
>regardless where the bug comes from.
>
>> Tar on the other hand, has caused us no end of headaches and I've
>> often wondered if we would be better off using star.  I think its
>> probably very good code, but Jeorg Schiling(sp) is such a difficult
>> person to deal with that the ever buggy tar is perceived as the
>> better choice.
>
>Agreed.

Yes, but that still doesn't make Jeorg the least bit palatable.
As an official old fart, I can be difficult, but I can't even hold the
candle to light his way.

>Stefan

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: