Amanda-Users

Re: restore errors

2007-01-27 12:50:34
Subject: Re: restore errors
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, sgw AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 12:37:13 -0500
On Saturday 27 January 2007 09:14, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>Stefan G. Weichinger schrieb:
>> Stefan G. Weichinger schrieb:
>>> googled a bit and found notes about a bug in 2.4.4, but I am unsure
>>> if I hit this particular one.
>>
>> Could anyone *please* let me know if this problem would be avoided
>> with a more recent release of Amanda?
>
>So noone knows if there are releases out there that are known to archive
>defective tarballs?
>
>IMO it would be the least to mark these releases as buggy ones, to make
>clear which installations should upgrade to get valid restores again,
>and which installations would just need to upgrade for new features or
>something.
>
>But it seems that this interests noone but me.
>
>Stefan

I believe that more of the blame for defective backups can be laid at the
gnu.org's (miss)handling of tar than at amanda's doorstep. Amanda has
always had the possibility that something would sneak in, and it did at
least twice on my watch, but was fixed each time in good time, less than
a week IIRC.

Tar on the other hand, has caused us no end of headaches and I've often
wondered if we would be better off using star.  I think its probably very
good code, but Jeorg Schiling(sp) is such a difficult person to deal with
that the ever buggy tar is perceived as the better choice.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are: