Amanda-Users

Re: restore errors

2007-01-27 13:24:20
Subject: Re: restore errors
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <sgw AT amanda DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 19:15:01 +0100
Gene Heskett schrieb:

> I believe that more of the blame for defective backups can be laid at
> the gnu.org's (miss)handling of tar than at amanda's doorstep. Amanda
> has always had the possibility that something would sneak in, and it
> did at least twice on my watch, but was fixed each time in good time,
> less than a week IIRC.

I was under the impression for years now that tar 1.13.25 was known as a
release that works well with Amanda. Nothing specific with that setup,
plain Suse Linux, etc.

I don't blame Amanda for anything, I just wonder if anyone else has hit
that bug I seem to have hit, and which patch/release fixed that issue
(if it has been fixed already).

Is that issue known? Is it documented? Is it fixed already?
Jean-Louis, maybe you know best ...

IMO this is an issue that should be communicated and discussed,
regardless where the bug comes from.

> Tar on the other hand, has caused us no end of headaches and I've
> often wondered if we would be better off using star.  I think its
> probably very good code, but Jeorg Schiling(sp) is such a difficult
> person to deal with that the ever buggy tar is perceived as the
> better choice.

Agreed.

Stefan