Amanda-Users

Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0

2006-03-15 12:09:41
Subject: Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0
From: Thomas Widhalm <widhalmt AT unix.sbg.ac DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:05:05 +0100
Am Mittwoch, 15. März 2006 17:27 schrieb Jon LaBadie:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 04:08:05PM +0100, Thomas Widhalm wrote:
> > >

> > > Amazing how "simple" amanda.conf can become.
> > >
> > > I put two questions inline.

> > > Not sure I understand this set of parameters.
> > >
> > > runspercycle == 0 causes all level 0 dumps I believe.
> > > In that case the "length" of the dumpcycle is immaterial.
> > > Each time you run amdump, everything will get full dumps.
> >

> I know you are not using tape now, but whenever you run
> amcheck (you do don't right?) it will complain tapecycle
> less than runspercycle.

I do call amcheck from a script (just su's to amanda and then runs amcheck. It
doesn't complain.

> > > Are you saying you plan to run amdump once each 8 days
> > > and that you want only level 0 dumps each run?
> > >
> > > And further, you will rotate 4 tapes totaling 32 days
> > > of backups available?
> >
> > I removed all tapes from the config. I just save to the holding disk. I
> > can live with the daily "tape error", but I want amanda to do less full
> > backups.
>
> The general way to reduce full dump frequency is increase dumpcycle.

I tried this. But it just overloads my harddisks, because there are so many
level 0s.

> If that doesn't help then perhaps other factors are coming into play.
> For example, amanda will promote a very active DLE thinking so much
> has changed the savings of a level 1 aren't worth it, lets just do
> another level 0.
>
> Sometimes an activity on your computer will make it seem like things
> have changed when they have not.  I believe gnutar relies heavily
> on the ctime parameter of unix files.  Some activities affect ctime
> and could make it look like the file changes (ex. moving a file).

Hm, this can't be either. Of course, there are some hosts having a lot of
traffic, but some get level 0 on / where is exactly no traffic and no
cronjob.

> Other than that I don't see any reason you are not getting higher
> number levels on your holding disk.  I certainly do on a new setup
> I'm testing but not providing any tapes.

A co-worker told me the same. He uses amanda in the same configuration

> I don't think this is the problem, but I do not see a "record yes"
> setting.  I wonder if that is needed to ensure amanda knows when
> the last full dump was done?  It is needed for "dump", but I'm
> uncertain about gnutar.

The docs say, record has default value "yes". I tried to include it, but
amcheck complains, that it's no valid option.

Maybe I found it deep within the  comments. There is one line "reserve 0". I
can remember I changed this on the very day I got to use this server, for it
didn't backup anymore. Or maybe it was some similar option. The comments
read, that this just applies to backing up to the holding disk and "reserve
100" means, that there are just incremental backups and that a smaller value
gets amanda to do fullbackups till the holdingdisk is full. So I tried now
and set it to "reserve 50". We are very well beyond that now so amanda should
just do incremental backups by now. I can imagine that when it comes to
deleting old backups there will be enough free space for 1 or 2 level 0 for
every disk. I will test and watch because this could mean that sometimes I
miss a level 0 for a disk. Maybe a mixture of "reserver 50" and a cronjob
doing a forced full every tapecycle like somebody mentioned, will do the job.

I will report the outcome of this.

Regards,
Thomas

> > > Is your DEC tapedrive really attached to the null device?
> > > Doesn't work very well that way does it?  :))
> >
> > It is disconnected from the server as it produced some driver problems
> > recently. So we switched to backup to the holdingsdisk.

> > --

* Thomas Widhalm                             Unix Administrator *
* University of Salzburg                       ITServices (ITS) *
* Systems Management                               Unix Systems *
* Hellbrunnerstr. 34                     5020 Salzburg, Austria *
* widhalmt AT unix.sbg.ac DOT at                     +43/662/8044-6774 *
* gpg: 6265BAE6                                                 *
* http://www.sbg.ac.at/zid/organisation/mitarbeiter/widhalm.htm *