Amanda-Users

Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0

2006-03-15 10:56:44
Subject: Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:52:18 -0500
On Wednesday 15 March 2006 04:48, Thomas Widhalm wrote:

>> > This could really be it. bumpsize was set 100Mb. Maybe, because
>> > this setup was used to backup on a tape just once in a week.
>> > Unfortunately I had to take over the whole machine without having
>> > time to look through the configuration too much.
>>
>> If that didn't solve your issues you maybe share your config with
>> us. This would help to get the picture.
>
>Ok. It's below
>
>> You mentioned you had to take over that server:
>> Do you have any experience with Amanda already or not?
>
>Well. All my experience with amanda I got with experimenting with this
>server.
>
>> Stefan.
>
>amanda-shared.conf:
>#
># amanda.conf - sample Amanda configuration file.  This started off
> life as
>#               the actual config file in use at CS.UMD.EDU.
>#
># If your configuration is called, say, "csd", then this file normally
>goes
># in /etc/amanda/csd/amanda.conf.
>#
>
>mailto "root"           # space separated list of operators at your
> site dumpuser "amanda"       # the user to run dumps under
>
>netusage  100000 Kbps   # maximum net bandwidth for Amanda, in KB per
>sec
>
>                        # 4 weeks (dumpcycle) times 5 tapes per week
>(just
>                        # the weekdays) plus a few to handle errors
> that # need amflush and so we do not overwrite the full
>                        # backups performed at the beginning of the
>previous
>                        # cycle
>maxdumps 1

Even afer I back out the line wrapping, I cannot find any of the
keywords 'dumpcycle', 'runspercycle', or 'tapecycle'
in this listing, so I would call this amanda.conf broken.  And I'm not
sure if 'maxdumps 1' is a valid keyword.

Have you not run am 'amcheck nameofconfig_dir' on this?  I'm sure it
will note errors about this.

[... most of remainder]

># You may include other amanda configuration files, so you can share
># dumptypes, tapetypes and interface definitions among several
># configurations.
>
>#includefile "/usr/local/amanda.conf.main"
>

>############ one of the amanda.confs:
>
>org "IS"     # your organization name for reports
>
>inparallel 1           # maximum dumpers that will run in parallel
>
>dumpcycle 8             # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
>runspercycle 0          # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
>tapecycle 4 tapes       # the number of tapes in rotation

This is not enough tapes, you need at least 1.5x dumpcycle tapes in
order to have a full backup on hand at all times.

>                        # 4 weeks (dumpcycle) times 5 tapes per week
>(just
>                        # the weekdays) plus a few to handle errors
> that # need amflush and so we do not overwrite the full
>                        # backups performed at the beginning of the
>previous
>                        # cycle
>
>holdingdisk hd1 {
>    comment "main holding disk for IS"
>    directory "/data/amanda/IS"        # where the holding disk is
>    use -1              # how much space can we use on it
>#    use 70 Mb           # how much space can we use on it
>                        # a negative value mean:
>                        #        use all space except that value
>    chunksize 2 Gb      # size of chunk if you want big dump to be
>                        # dumped on multiple files on holding disks
>                        #  N Kb/Mb/Gb split disks in chunks of size N
>                        #  0          split disks in INT_MAX/1024 Kb
>chunks
>                        # -N Kb/Mb/Gb dont split, dump larger
>                        #             filesystems directly to tape
>                        #             (example: -2 Gb)
>    }
>

>#tapedev "/dev/rmt/0mn"        # the no-rewind tape device to be used
>#da 2.band defekt... #tapedev "/dev/nst1"        # the no-rewind tape
>device to be used
>#tapedev "/dev/nst0"        # the no-rewind tape device to be used
>tapedev "/dev/null"
>tapetype DEC-TZ89             # see tapetype in amanda-shared.conf
>labelstr "^IS[0-9][0-9]*$"    # label constraint regex: all tapes must
>match
>
>infofile "/var/lib/amanda/IS/curinfo"        # database filename
>logdir   "/var/lib/amanda/IS"                # log directory
>indexdir "/var/lib/amanda/IS/index"  # index directory
>
>includefile "/etc/amanda/amanda-shared.conf"

I was thrown off by your doing the incouded files in reverse of their
useage, so I did not see the include line at first.

message by Gene Heskett are: