Amanda-Users

Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0

2006-03-15 10:12:35
Subject: Re: backup just on holding disks makes many level 0
From: Thomas Widhalm <widhalmt AT unix.sbg.ac DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 16:08:05 +0100
On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 09:45 -0500, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 01:03:51PM +0100, Thomas Widhalm wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 22:49 +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
> > >
> > > If that didn't solve your issues you maybe share your config with us.
> > > This would help to get the picture.
> >
> > Here are the 2 parts of the config:
> >

> I took the liberty of deleting the comments and unneeded
> tapetypes/dumptypes.  800 lines dropped to about 50.
> Hope I did not drop anything significant to the discussion.

So sorry. We had a lot of troubles migrating our other servers from
legato to data protector, so I missed to clean the files before posting.
I'm really ver sorry.

> Amazing how "simple" amanda.conf can become.
>
> I put two questions inline.

> || Here are the 2 parts of the config:
> || first file:
> || =====================
> || mailto "root"
> || dumpuser "amanda"
> || netusage  100000 Kbps
> || maxdumps 1
> || bumpsize 10 Mb
> || bumpdays 1
> || bumpmult 4
> || etimeout 1800
> || runtapes 1
> || reserve 0
> || define tapetype DEC-TZ89 {
> ||   comment "DEC TZ89 (hardware compression on: Xmn)"
> ||   length 29414 mbytes
> ||   filemark 24 kbytes
> ||   speed 1634 kps
> || }
> || ======================
> || and the other:
> || ======================
> || org "IS"
> || inparallel 1
> || dumpcycle 8
> || runspercycle 0
> || tapecycle 4
>
> Not sure I understand this set of parameters.
>
> runspercycle == 0 causes all level 0 dumps I believe.
> In that case the "length" of the dumpcycle is immaterial.
> Each time you run amdump, everything will get full dumps.

runspercycle = 0 means "same as tapecycle" as mentionend in another post
here. If this is not correct (at least the docu says, it is correct)
than please tell me. I want amanda to know that there is one run every
day, despite of manual runs after fixing errors.

> Are you saying you plan to run amdump once each 8 days
> and that you want only level 0 dumps each run?
>
> And further, you will rotate 4 tapes totaling 32 days
> of backups available?

I removed all tapes from the config. I just save to the holding disk. I
can live with the daily "tape error", but I want amanda to do less full
backups.

> || holdingdisk hd1 {
> ||     comment "main holding disk for IS"
> ||     directory "/data/amanda/IS"
> ||     use -1
> ||     chunksize 2 Gb
> ||     }
> || tapedev "/dev/null"
> || tapetype DEC-TZ89
>
> Is your DEC tapedrive really attached to the null device?
> Doesn't work very well that way does it?  :))

It is disconnected from the server as it produced some driver problems
recently. So we switched to backup to the holdingsdisk.

> || labelstr "^IS[0-9][0-9]*$"
> || infofile "/var/lib/amanda/IS/curinfo"
> || logdir   "/var/lib/amanda/IS"
> || indexdir "/var/lib/amanda/IS/index"
> || includefile "/etc/amanda/amanda-shared.conf"
> || the first file is used by all configs. The second one is one specific
> || config.

* Thomas Widhalm                             Unix Administrator *
* University of Salzburg                       ITServices (ITS) *
* Systems Management                               Unix Systems *
* Hellbrunnerstr. 34                     5020 Salzburg, Austria *
* widhalmt AT unix.sbg.ac DOT at                     +43/662/8044-6774 *
* gpg: 6265BAE6                                                 *
* http://www.sbg.ac.at/zid/organisation/mitarbeiter/widhalm.htm *