Amanda-Users

Re: beep! (encryption, multiplexing...)

2005-12-29 16:41:22
Subject: Re: beep! (encryption, multiplexing...)
From: Todd Kover <kovert AT omniscient DOT com>
To: Paddy Sreenivasan <paddy AT zmanda DOT com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 16:29:01 -0500
 > > Just because it's almost newyear, and I have seen The Light... (or
 > > was that just an illusion?)
 > >
 > > Some thoughts about the new proposed features, concerning:
 > >
 > > - multiplexing the data streams, error stream, index stream, over
 > > one TCP connection (this would make passing firewalls and NAT so
 > > much easier and safer)
 >
 > Yes. Multiplexing the data streams/error stream/index stream over one
 > connection is a good idea.  Kevin Till has done some investigation in
 > this area. I hope he will comment on this.

The Kerberos 5 implementation in 2.5.0 actually does all this over one
tcp connection right now.

There is a minor protocol issue that needs to be corrected (that causes
amandad to timeout at the end, rather than properly end a session, but
it's also there under udp-based connections today, so less of a big
deal).

-Todd