Amanda-Users

Re: Dumps way tooooo big

2005-11-30 06:57:38
Subject: Re: Dumps way tooooo big
From: todd zenker <todd.e.zenker.1 AT gsfc.nasa DOT gov>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 06:48:47 -0500
Thanks for all the good information.
I have 2 holdingdisk each 100 GB.(Two partitions on the server)
What I don't understand is why I have so much disk space the dumps failed.

lev 1 FAILED [dumps way too big, 67296 KB, must skip incremental dumps]
lev 1 FAILED [dumps way too big, 68438 KB, must skip incremental dumps]
lev 1 FAILED [dumps way too big, 2780440 KB, must skip incremental dumps]
(This one is a big one)

What I'm trying to do is get the incremental's started and then add another host to dump. Looks like it might take a while

I don't remember this a problem in v2.4.4

Thanks for the insight again.
-todd

At 02:31 PM 11/29/2005, you wrote:
On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 01:43:58PM -0500, todd zenker wrote:

> define tapetype SDLT-320{
>         length 138443 mbytes
>         filemark 0 kbytes
>         speed 13998 kps
> }
>
> Even when I don't use the tape I get this error.
> Let me know what I can to.
>
> Thanks for you're help
>

> At 01:30 PM 11/29/2005, you wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 01:18:37PM -0500, todd zenker wrote:
> >> Folks,
> >>
> >> I have exhausted all means in trying to resolve this.  I need you're
> >help.
> >> My diskpool is 200 GB and my tape is 160 GB.
> >>
> >> What I need to know is what are some of the parameters in the
> >> amanda.conf file do I need to change to get this thang working.
> >> I have allowed compression on the server side.
> >>
> >> [dumps way too big, 95 KB, must skip incremental dumps]
> >> [dumps way too big, 621 KB, must skip incremental dumps]
> >
> >What tapetype is specified in amanda.conf and what is its definition?

And your amanda.conf specifies "tapetype SDLT-320"?

When you say your disk pool is 200GB, I presume that is total data
stored on disk (or storage capacity) but that for amanda's purpose
it is divided up into a number of DiskList Entries (DLEs).
It that a correct presumption?  Are any of them larger than 136GB?

Is this the initial runs of a new amanda installation.  If so, I'd
recommend not starting with all your DLEs active, bring a few online
each run of amdump.  The first time a DLE is seen it must receive a
level 0 dump.  So if all are new, it is a massive first dump.  Better
to start with one or two DLEs from each host.  Then add more the next
run of amdump when the original DLEs will now be getting incrementals.

How is your holding disk space?  What have you set reserve to (not
the default of 100% I trust)?

Another possibility is to set runtapes to 2 or more.  Amanda will
only use the number of tapes actually needed for that run, but perhaps
the first run needs more than 1.  You will need to setup "chg-manual"
also.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)

Todd Zenker
CNE-Raytheon
NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center
Mailstop 200.1
Greenbelt, MD 20771
alt email: tzenker AT cne-mail.gsfc.nasa DOT gov