Amanda-Users

Bare metal restores on Solaris 10 x86

2005-11-30 05:47:09
Subject: Bare metal restores on Solaris 10 x86
From: "Alan Griffiths" <ap_griffiths AT hotmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:32:19 +0000
Hi,

I'm trying to put together a procedure for doing bare metal restores to x86 boxes running Solaris 10. I have a theoretical procedure below, but have not really tested it yet. Does anyone have any experience doing this or anything similar?

Bare metal restores to x86: -

1. Boot box from cd with boot -s
2. Bring up interface.
3. Mount remote NFS partition with amrecover binary and necessary libs.
4. Create partitions on disk.
5. Run amrecover to apply ufsdumps to each partition in turn.
6. Setup MBR (not too sure how to do this yet).
7. Reboot into new (restored environment).

Well, that's as far as I've got at the moment. I'm planning to test it out over the next few days. Any advice/pointers greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Alan Griffiths