Amanda-Users

restore amanda dumps from dead linux machine to solaris 9

2005-11-30 10:18:14
Subject: restore amanda dumps from dead linux machine to solaris 9
From: Joshua Kuperman <josh.kuperman AT gmail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:59:35 -0500
I used Amanda for years, with an old PC running Linux as a tape host and server. I backed up two or three other machines, (a cobalt server and a Mac OS X server, using it). It died! I don't have another Linux machine - I put together an old (1994 state of the art) Sparc 10 and managed to get a tape drive hooked up. I installed Amanda using the packaged version at blastwave.org (I'd have some issues getting gcc to work on my SparcStation).

I was having the usual set up issues with files, permissions, exclude lists, tar versions, when I thought it would be good to go over how I had it set up previously. While I have no problem dumping the files on the solaris machine; I can't seem to figure out what is in them. Except for a few text characters on the tape label I'm stumped. the dd command works as expected. I don't remember the order, etc and I don't have the output from any of the jobs which would have told me what partitions from what machines where on which files on the tape. I have two versions of tar ( one from blastwave which is GNU tar 1.15.1) and one from the install of Solaris. I don't know which version I was using for the tapes. Also, I don't have a machine that can run a Linux Dump or Restore as Solaris has ufsrestore.

So is there a way for me to figure out what is on the tape and restore the Linux partition where I previously had Amanda installed?

--
Joshua Kuperman
josh.kuperman AT gmail DOT com