Amanda-Users

Re: "Strange" error message from Amanda.

2005-11-08 20:04:41
Subject: Re: "Strange" error message from Amanda.
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 18:52:24 -0600
Paul Bijnens wrote:

> Not 100% true actually.  Gnutar produces some output on stderr which
> amanda classifies as "normal" (can safely be ignored), "error" (needs
> to be flagged as error to the user, and implies that this dump is not
> correct and will not be put on tape if dumping to holdingdisk).
> And a third category "strange": all the other messages not falling in
> category "error" or "normal".
>
> When amanda detects strange or failed "lines", it shows them all,
> including the normal ones.  The normal ones are preceded by a pipe
> symbol as above.  The "error" and "strange" lines are preceded by a
> question mark.
>
> That means that the above line is not seen as an error.  And would
> that be the only output of tar, amanda would not have bothered you
> with those details.
> It is only there to provide some context of the next line (if the
> error lines need to be interpreted in context, as e.g. samba error
> message often do, this helps a lot.).

Well, I stand corrected (and learned something in the process).  I
was going to make a comment about this behavior not being adequately
documented, but it looks like it is, although in the dumperapi.txt
file, which I had never looked at.  There is a mention of the '?' in
using.txt but it doesn't explain '|' (normal) vs, '?' (strange) vs. '&'
(error) as the dumperapi.txt does.

If the explanation hasn't been included in the general use docs yet
(I'm looking at a 2.4.5 source tree), it should be.

Thanks for the enlightenment,
Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673