Amanda-Users

Re: "Strange" error message from Amanda.

2005-11-08 15:58:24
Subject: Re: "Strange" error message from Amanda.
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: erik AT epo DOT dk
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 14:46:05 -0600
Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> This time I've got a really strange error message from an amanda back-
> up:
>
> FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
>   epo.dk     /var lev 0 STRANGE

STRANGE means Amanda received unexpected output from the underlying
backup program (tar or dump).  Whether or not it is something to be
concerned about depends on what it is.  See below.

> .. and further down the list:
>
> FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:
>
> /-- epo.dk     /var lev 0 STRANGE
> sendbackup: start [epo.dk:/var level 0]
> sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
> sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/gzip -dc |/bin/tar -f... -
> sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
> sendbackup: info end
> | gtar: ./cache/samba/winbindd_privileged/pipe: socket ignored

Tar is warning you that it came across a special file type (a socket)
and didn't back it up. You can safely ignore these messages.

> ? gtar: ./lib/slocate/slocate.db: file changed as we read it

This means that a file was changing while it was being backed up, so
that your backup of that particular file may or may not be valid.  This
is a hazard of backing up an active filesystem.  In this case, I wouldn't
worry about it, since it is just the database used by the locate command
and can be recreated manually anyway if needed.  Other files that might
cause the same message are log files, mail spools, and various lock files.
You need to look at them and decide if they can safely be ignored, or if
is OK to occasionally miss certain files, or if it is a real problem that
would force you to reschedule your backups or find other ways to grab the
files in question.

> | Total bytes written: 545894400 (521MiB, 3.1MiB/s)
> sendbackup: size 533100
> sendbackup: end
> \--------
>
> The weird messages do not make any sense what-so-ever. Would someone be
> kind enough to explain to me what went wrong and whether I have a
> dependable back-up?

In this example your backups are fine, although sometimes it's good to
practice a restore just to make sure the backups are good (and include
everything you need).  Try a recover into a scratch location first so
you don't accidentally trash a server.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                      fsmith AT hoovers DOT com
Sr. Systems Administrator                       Voice: 512-374-4673