Amanda-Users

Re: "Strange" error message from Amanda.

2005-11-08 16:32:57
Subject: Re: "Strange" error message from Amanda.
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Amanda Users List <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 22:26:07 +0100
Frank Smith wrote:
Erik P. Olsen wrote:

This time I've got a really strange error message from an amanda back-
up:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
 epo.dk     /var lev 0 STRANGE

STRANGE means Amanda received unexpected output from the underlying
backup program (tar or dump).  Whether or not it is something to be
concerned about depends on what it is.  See below.

.. and further down the list:

FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:

/-- epo.dk     /var lev 0 STRANGE
sendbackup: start [epo.dk:/var level 0]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/usr/bin/gzip -dc |/bin/tar -f... -
sendbackup: info COMPRESS_SUFFIX=.gz
sendbackup: info end
| gtar: ./cache/samba/winbindd_privileged/pipe: socket ignored

Tar is warning you that it came across a special file type (a socket)
and didn't back it up. You can safely ignore these messages.

Not 100% true actually.  Gnutar produces some output on stderr which
amanda classifies as "normal" (can safely be ignored), "error" (needs
to be flagged as error to the user, and implies that this dump is not
correct and will not be put on tape if dumping to holdingdisk).
And a third category "strange": all the other messages not falling in
category "error" or "normal".

When amanda detects strange or failed "lines", it shows them all,
including the normal ones.  The normal ones are preceded by a pipe
symbol as above.  The "error" and "strange" lines are preceded by a
question mark.

That means that the above line is not seen as an error.  And would
that be the only output of tar, amanda would not have bothered you
with those details.
It is only there to provide some context of the next line (if the
error lines need to be interpreted in context, as e.g. samba error
message often do, this helps a lot.).

? gtar: ./lib/slocate/slocate.db: file changed as we read it

This is the "strange" line.  It is not an error.  It is up to you
to decide if it is bad or not.   Frank can explain that better than me:

This means that a file was changing while it was being backed up, so
that your backup of that particular file may or may not be valid.  This
is a hazard of backing up an active filesystem.  In this case, I wouldn't
worry about it, since it is just the database used by the locate command
and can be recreated manually anyway if needed.  Other files that might
cause the same message are log files, mail spools, and various lock files.
You need to look at them and decide if they can safely be ignored, or if
is OK to occasionally miss certain files, or if it is a real problem that
would force you to reschedule your backups or find other ways to grab the
files in question.

| Total bytes written: 545894400 (521MiB, 3.1MiB/s)
sendbackup: size 533100
sendbackup: end
\--------

Notice again the "normal" output line from gnutar: the size line,
flagged by amanda with a preceding pipe.