Amanda-Users

Re: IO probs [half solved]

2005-11-03 20:34:40
Subject: Re: IO probs [half solved]
From: Glenn English <ghe AT slsware DOT com>
To: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 18:27:04 -0700
On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 19:56 -0500, Matt Hyclak wrote:

> amdump with tar uses runtar (which should be suid root) to access files.
> amcheck does not, so sometimes you will get errors with amcheck that amdump
> handles just fine.

*Thank you* That explains a lot. I assumed they were using the same
access methods.

> Is there any corelation between tar/dump and the disklists that succeed/fail?

There was a very strong correlation between Amanda working on an old
RedHat, not working on a new Debian, default home directory permissions,
and mis-remembering how things used to work. Debian's permissions are a
lot more restrictive. The Input side is working now. Great thanks to
everyone.

Now, the Output. Does anyone have an idea why amdump's taper doesn't run
but amflush's does? (I *am* sure that used to work.) Do they do things
differently too?

--
Glenn English
ghe AT slsware DOT com