Amanda-Users

IO probs

2005-11-02 23:10:08
Subject: IO probs
From: Glenn English <ghe AT slsware DOT com>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 20:56:02 -0700
Debian GNU/Linux sarge AMD64 smp, Quantum DLT VS160, Amanda 2.4.4p3

Input)
There is a large part of one of the hosts on my network that Amanda
claims it can't get an estimate of because of "permission denied."
Amcheck says it can't access any of the directories in the disklist (for
that partition), but some of the disklist entries show up on the
collection disk. I can't see a pattern.

Other hosts are fine. Amanda asks for the bits, and they come right
back.

Output)
When it does a backup, it collects to the collection disk, but won't
write to tape. Amstatus shows the disklist entries getting estimates and
dumping, then waiting to write to tape...then everything just stops.
Amcleanup followed by Amflush copies the collection disk backups to
tape, and Amverify says they're fine.

Both these started a couple weeks ago when (IIRC) I killed processes
trying to stop a backup.

I don't understand enough of how Amanda works to even make a guess why
either of these things might be happening. The partition that gives
trouble is a 60GB disk disk mounted for a big project in a user's
directory. But I can't think of anything out of the ordinary about the
tape write problem.

I've rebooted (the server and the client) and reinstalled (the client)
and remounted and examined permissions, none of which made any
difference at all.

Any thoughts?

--
Glenn English