Amanda-Users

Re: IO probs

2005-11-03 20:05:40
Subject: Re: IO probs
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 19:56:03 -0500
On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 05:30:40PM -0700, Glenn English enlightened us:
> > What permissions does the AMANDA-user have on the problematic DLE?
> > Maybe the AMANDA-user is not allowed to traverse that DLE, make sure
> > that amanda belongs to a group allowed to do that. Also check the
> > permissions of the directory above the DLE.
>
> This is what I don't understand. backup, the amanda user on Debian,
> doesn't have permission to do anything in almost all of the DLE's, but
> they get backed up.
>
> And amcheck says none of the directories are accessible, but amdump gets
> some of them. *Some*. It was suggested that there might be some garbage
> leftover in /var/lock, so I went looking in /tmp/amanda. Thousands of
> files, but nothing that looked interesting, lock-wise.
>
> I looked at the selfcheck debug file on the client. All it says is
> "permission denied."
>
> > You mentioned that this DLE is a mounted disk? Check the
> > mount-parameters for any options related to groups and users.
>
> Don't think so:
> /dev/hda2       /home/jerry/ote ext3    defaults        0       2
>
> > If you get "permission denied" you still have a permission-problem ;)
>
> I know. I know. Something somewhere has decided that, but I can't figure
> out what or why. This is what's making me crazy :-)

amdump with tar uses runtar (which should be suid root) to access files.
amcheck does not, so sometimes you will get errors with amcheck that amdump
handles just fine. For dump, the user (backup in your case) must have
permission to read the /dev/ entry for the disk (in this case /dev/hda2).

Is there any corelation between tar/dump and the disklists that succeed/fail?

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics