Amanda-Users

Re: A few questions including "dump larger than tape"

2005-10-20 05:21:55
Subject: Re: A few questions including "dump larger than tape"
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst AT barrett.com DOT au>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:04:18 +0200
Jobst Schmalenbach wrote:

  FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
    lalalalala /samba lev 1 FAILED [dump larger than tape, 10101550 KB,
skipping incremental]

It is true that 10101550 KB is bigger than the tape size, this is a 4/8GB
Sony SDT-5000 which I have given the following setup:

# MMS TAPE 0 @ ADMINSERVER
define tapetype SONY_SDT-5000 {
    comment "Internal SONY SDT-5000"
    length 6000 mbytes
    filemark 100 kbytes
    speed 500 kps
}

When you tell amanda the tape is 6 Gbyte, and the result of the estimate is 10Gb, then amanda will not even try to run it. Even if, with hardware compression, it would turn out afterwards that it would have fit.

Or do you believe she should try the dump anyway?
See also:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?w=2&r=1&s=%22accepts+53gb+DLE%22&q=t

If you really believe it will fit, increase the length parameter.

maxdumpsize -1

What are you trying to accomplish with setting maxdumpsize to -1 ?

amrecover_changer "/dev/null"

Strange, confusing name for a changer.   Better use a mnemonic
like (surprise) "changer".  Then issuing the command in amrecover
"settape changer", will use the changer.

lalalalala  /samba                  standard

You can also split it up into smaller pieces.  See:

http://www.amanda.org/docs/topten.html#id2556677

* I think I've got the hang of it now:  exit, ^D, ^C, ^\, ^Z, ^Q, ^^, *
* F6, quit, ZZ, :q, :q!, M-Z, ^X^C, logoff, logout, close, bye, /bye, *
* init 0, kill -9 1, Alt-F4, Ctrl-Alt-Del, AltGr-NumLock, Stop-A, ... *