Amanda-Users

A few questions including "dump larger than tape"

2005-10-19 22:50:57
Subject: A few questions including "dump larger than tape"
From: Jobst Schmalenbach <jobst AT barrett.com DOT au>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:43:55 +1000
Hi.

I have been using Amanda for years in a variety of places.
In the case below I am looking after a small school, so the budget is
minimal and I am using a lot of second hand stuff, in this case
4/8BG Sony's, HP's and so on.

The amanda server backs up itself plus that bastion host.
I use two tape drives in the server, one for the OS related stuff
and one for the user data including the samba stuff.

I have never come up with this problem:

  FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
    lalalalala /samba lev 1 FAILED [dump larger than tape, 10101550 KB,
skipping incremental]

It is true that 10101550 KB is bigger than the tape size, this is a 4/8GB
Sony SDT-5000 which I have given the following setup:

# MMS TAPE 0 @ ADMINSERVER
define tapetype SONY_SDT-5000 {
    comment "Internal SONY SDT-5000"
    length 6000 mbytes
    filemark 100 kbytes
    speed 500 kps
}

I turned the hardware compression on for the tape drives via the jumper setting
on the drive
and I do not use softwware compression.

I know I should not use hardware compression cause amanda likes to "know".
However, since I have a small tape drive only, I decided to use a fairly
generous amount in the compression ratio ( I only told it that it has 6GB)
and it is less CPU intesive to use HW compression.

amtapetype in both drives tells me that HW compression IS enabled.

Executing "mt status" yields:

    [root@lalalalala  /home/amanda/etc/DailySet1] #>mt -f /dev/amandatape1
status
    SCSI 2 tape drive:
    File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
    Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
    Soft error count since last status=0
    General status bits on (41010000):
     BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

    [root@lalalalala  /home/amanda/etc/DailySet1] #>mt -f /dev/amandatape2
status
    SCSI 2 tape drive:
    File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
    Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
    Soft error count since last status=0
    General status bits on (41010000):
     BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

So what am I not seeing here?
jobst

APPENDICES:

amanda.conf (this is for one, the other one looks the same, except it refers to
the
other disklist!

org "DailySet1"

mailto "root AT mms.vic.edu DOT au"

dumpuser "amanda"

inparallel 4

dumporder "sssS"

netusage  600 Kbps

dumpcycle 9 days

runspercycle 9 days

tapecycle 10 tapes

bumpsize 20 Mb

bumpdays 1

bumpmult 4

etimeout 300

dtimeout 1800

ctimeout 30

tapebufs 20

runtapes 1

tapedev "/dev/amandatape1"

maxdumpsize -1

tapetype SONY_SDT-5000

labelstr "^Media_S1_[0-9][0-9]*$"

amrecover_do_fsf yes

amrecover_check_label yes

amrecover_changer "/dev/null"

holdingdisk hd1 {
    comment "Amanda Holding Disk"
    directory "/home/amanda/holdingdisk/DailySet1"
    use -4 Gb
    chunksize 1 Gb
}

reserve 30

autoflush no

infofile "/home/amanda/curinfo/DailySet1"
logdir   "/home/amanda/logs/DailySet1"
indexdir "/home/amanda/index/DailySet1"
tapelist "/home/amanda/tapelist/DailySet1"

# MMS TAPE 0 @ ADMINSERVER
define tapetype SONY_SDT-5000 {
    comment "Internal SONY SDT-5000"
    length 6000 mbytes
    filemark 100 kbytes
    speed 500 kps
}

define dumptype global {
    comment "Global definitions"
    index yes
    record yes
    compress none
    program "GNUTAR"
}

define dumptype root-tar {
    global
    comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
    exclude list "/home/amanda/etc/DailySet1/root_exclude.gtar"
}

define dumptype home {
    global
    comment "home partition dumped with tar"
    exclude list "/home/amanda/etc/DailySet1/home_exclude.gtar"
}

define dumptype standard {
    global
    comment "Standard Partition (no exclusion list)"
}

define interface local {
    comment "a local disk"
    use 1000 kbps
}

define interface eth0 {
    comment "100 Mbps ethernet"
    use 1000 kbps
}
define interface eth1 {
    comment "100 Mbps ethernet"
    use 1000 kbps
}

disklists 1
lalalalala  /                       root-tar
lalalalala  /boot                   standard
lalalalala  /usr                    standard

lslslslslsls  /                       root-tar
lslslslslsls  /boot                   standard

disklists 2
lalalalala  /home                   home
lalalalala  /var                    standard
lalalalala  /samba                  standard

lslslslslsls  /var                    standard

--
Don't rejoice in his defeat, You men.  For though the world stood up and
stopped the Bastard, the Bitch that bore him is in heat again. - Bertold Brecht.

             __, Jobst Schmalenbach, Technical Director
   _ _.--'-n_/   Barrett Consulting Group P/L & The Meditation Room P/L
 -(_)------(_)=  +61 3 9532 7677, POBox 277, Caulfield South, 3162, Australia