Amanda-Users

Re: Configuration for Windows PC client

2005-10-10 16:33:30
Subject: Re: Configuration for Windows PC client
From: "Peter A. Castro" <doctor AT fruitbat DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:20:47 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Jon LaBadie wrote:

On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 08:20:53PM +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

Chris Jones wrote:
[snip]
And what happens if you run this by hand?

smbclient \\gandalf\gandalfc -U chris -E -W GANDALF -c quit

It should ask for a password ... which I am missing here ...

Yes. and when the password is supplied, I get a response:-

-bash-3.00$ smbclient \\gandalf\gandalfc -U chris -E -W GANDALF -c quit

\gandalfgandalfc: Not enough '\' characters in service

Backslashes on a shell command line have to be quoted.
Either the way you did, doubling each backslash, or by
enclosing the string in single quotes (ex.  '\\gandalf\gandalfc')

Or using the forward slash notation, as described in the manpage for
smbclient eg:

$ smbclient //gandalf/gandalfc -U chris -E -W GANDALF -c quit

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor AT fruitbat DOT org> or <Peter.Castro AT oracle DOT com>