Amanda-Users

Re: File owner changed upon recovery

2005-10-06 08:43:15
Subject: Re: File owner changed upon recovery
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 08:21:31 -0400
On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 12:39:54PM +0900, David Leangen enlightened us:
------------< snip <------< snip <------< snip <------------
> >Are you recovering on the same machine you backed up from ?
>
> No... and I suspect this would be the problem. Thank you for pointing
> this out...
>
> Using this hint, I noticed that user A has UID 502 on the remote
> machine, but 502 on the backup server (where I am restoring the data)
> refers to user B.

Yep, that's the problem.

> So, obviously, amanda is using UID numerically, which is why the owner
> of the files on the backup machine becomes B(502) instead of A(?). This
> may be obvious to most people, of course, but this is the first time
> I've had to worry about this.

Well, to be exact, tar is storing the UIDs.

> So, what do you think would be the best way to manage this in order to
> retain the correct permissions during a restore? Should I manually
> change UIDs? (Seems VERY difficult to manage!) Or do I need to learn
> about NIS, or something?
>
> Any advice would be very helpful!

That's really outside the scope of this mailing list, but yes, depending on
the size of your userbase, NIS/NIS+ or LDAP might be a good idea. If you're
only talking about a couple of machines and a couple of users, you can also
do things like rsync passwd and shadow files.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics