Amanda-Users

Re: File owner changed upon recovery

2005-10-05 23:53:41
Subject: Re: File owner changed upon recovery
From: David Leangen <dleangen AT canada DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 12:39:54 +0900

Thank you for the quick replies!

I am using gnu-tar. When I recover files, the owner of certain
>>files is changed. Of course, this is not good...

Are you using root to recover ?

Yes.

Are you waiting until the restore process is complete before coming to this conclusion?

Yes.

Are you recovering on the same machine you backed up from ?

No... and I suspect this would be the problem. Thank you for pointing this out...

Using this hint, I noticed that user A has UID 502 on the remote machine, but 502 on the backup server (where I am restoring the data) refers to user B.

So, obviously, amanda is using UID numerically, which is why the owner of the files on the backup machine becomes B(502) instead of A(?). This may be obvious to most people, of course, but this is the first time I've had to worry about this.

So, what do you think would be the best way to manage this in order to retain the correct permissions during a restore? Should I manually change UIDs? (Seems VERY difficult to manage!) Or do I need to learn about NIS, or something?

Any advice would be very helpful!

> You are going to have to be *way* more specific than that to
> get an answer.

Understood. However, I think we nailed the problem already.

Thanks again!